Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Novelties IX

Haven't done this in a while:

Eating:

Since they are available in abundance right now - zucchini sauteed in olive oil, cook until just tender, a little green onion for the last two minutes, then lots of mint and some basil mix it in for a minute, juice of a lemon, mash with a potato masher, eat on toast with ricotta or feta cheese or on pasta w/ parmesan and some pasta water. Mmmmmmm


Drinking: Lately I've been going for strong, black iced coffee - no sugar, no nothing.

Looking: My obsession with Almodovar's films has led me to the wonderful singer Caetano Veloso. Here he is singing Cucurrucucu Paloma in a scene from Almodovar's Talk To Her


Listening: I don't know if you ever listen to The Tavis Smiley Show on NPR, but he had on a panel discussion last weekend about the non-violence movement and the likelihood of a peaceful world in this century. Follow the link above. What I found most interesting about it was hearing a room full of adults talk with idealistic passion. It reminded me of something I have lost. In my late teens and early twenties I shared this same hope. My expectations of human nature, unfortunately, currently predispose me toward a more cynical view.

Surfing: 1, 2, 3, 4

Learning:

It's sex week at The Loom so go and learn something!

Don't believe everything you read.

And in the No... really department. Who can resist: MRI scans of fruits and vegetables? Not I. This is canteloup. Veggies are not just for eating any more.

Hat tip: Better Health via The Happy Hospitalist.

2 comments:

Sarah Salway said...

Brilliant post! And yes, I am getting the feeling that there is more idealism and less cynicism around. Nothing sexier or more nourishing than someone who believes they can make a difference. Even better than vegetables.

Anonymous said...

You call it cynical, I call it realistic. There has never been a time when humans haven't engaged in war, so why pretend that we are what we never have been and never can be? We'd be much better off acknowledging this and working to manage the impulse to war (through civilization, deterrence, etc) rather than denying it's existence.