Thursday, January 7, 2010

Recent Acquisitions Department

btt button

Barbara wants to know:What books did you get for Christmas (or whichever holiday you may have celebrated last month)? Do you usually ask for books on gift-giving occasions or do you prefer to buy them yourself?


Not that the holidays are merely acquisitive, but they did yield some lovely book loot. I love to get people books as gifts but many people are nervous of getting me books, so this year I had made a list on Amazon that included a number of titles I was hoping to read. The Ragazzo gave me a lovely design book that was not on the list - Jacques Grange Interiors. His parents got me How To Cook Everything, a cookbook by Mark Bittman that I had been wanting and had put on the list. I needed to buy myself everything else bookish that I wanted. Some were professionally related and rather expensive: Geriatric Neuropsychology, Diagnosing Learning Disorders, Brain, Behavior, and Learning in Language and Reading Disorders, and The Human Frontal Lobes - sounds fun huh? I'm actually really looking forward to them. Then, given a little holiday money and time off from school to actually read book reviews and favorite book bloggers more thoroughly, I ordered a book of poetry: Sakura Park by the late Rachel Wetzsteon, Jonathan Lethem's new novel Chronic City, Deirdre Madden's Nothing is Black, The Magicians, Reading in the Brain, and The Selected Works of T. S. Spivet. So much to look forward to! And yourself?


10 comments:

Alayne said...

Oooh nice haul! Mine are not listed under BTT, but you can view them at The Crowded Leaf.

Anonymous said...

I actually like your professional book list. I've enjoyed reading similar type books in my profession as a speech-language pathologist. I'll probably look into some of yours as possible reads! Thanks for sharing.

Jennifer said...

What a wonderful assortment of books! My BTT: http://www.rundpinne.com/2010/01/booking-through-thursday-my-first.html

Anonymous said...

I have that Mark Bittman cookbook and it is wonderful! Like you, I always buy books for people as gifts. I didn't start getting them as gifts until I started using the Amazon wishlist as well, which I like because it's easy for them to choose something without me knowing what I'll get. Have a great break and happy reading!

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

Nice!!! Here is mine

Barbara H. said...

My oldest son has How to Cook Everything and loves it -- and had treated us with his experimentations some times.

I had never heard of everything else on your sister. Sounds like some pretty deep reading!

Susan said...

I always have a list brewing of books people can get me as gifts, but I usually don't receive any.

I was a very lucky girl this Christmas! Here is my BTT response.

J.S. Peyton said...

You have a great pile there. I have the T.S. Spivet book and The Magicians. I've been casting a covetous eye on Reading and the Brain, too. I hope you enjoy!

Anne Camille said...

How to Cook Everything is one of my favorite cookbooks, maybe only surpassed by Bittman's How to Cook Everything Vegetarian. The fact that he wrote an 800 page cookbook on "everything", and then wrote another 800 pages on vegetarian foods makes me smile. I use both in heavy rotation, although the veggie one gets more use when I can buy fresh produce.

Ted said...

I love how many How to Cook Everything fans I've found. Have any of you watched any of Mark Bittman's cooking videos? They're terrific! I made a great black bean, red onion, cilantro and sweet potato salad for Thanksgiving courtesy of him!