Thursday, January 12, 2012

Breakfast reading, superpowers, and other important matters...

btt button
It has been a while since I participated in BTT. Here's the meme posted today.
1. What’s your favorite time of day to read?
I'll read any time but end up reading most often before I go to sleep.
2. Do you read during breakfast? (Assuming you eat breakfast.)
I usually read blogs during breakfast but if I'm at the tail-end of a really good read, I'll sometimes try to finish it over breakfast.

3. What’s your favorite breakfast food? (Noting that breakfast foods can be eaten any time of day.)
Eggs, but I don't usually eat them for breakfast. My breakfast is usually some source of whole grain - toast, cereal, meusli, muffin, fruit - often berries, kiwi, melon, and some sort of fermented milk like yogurt or kefir.
4. How many hours a day would you say you read?
At least one. Between my commute and bed time reading about 1.5 is probably most common, and if you count reading on line and reading for work then probably 2. Although, there are some days like a not so busy weekend or vacation days where I might get in three to five. When I was still in classes it could be more like six or seven on the weekends.
5. Do you read more or less now than you did, say, 10 years ago?
I have always read a lot. I may have gotten in more reading before I was in a relationship, but I wasn't happier.
6. Do you consider yourself a speed reader?
No, although others seem to consider me one. My reading has slowed down with age, but I think I read more carefully and perceptively.
7. If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
Does this seem like a non-sequitur to anyone else? My cliched superpower wish would be flying or teleporting (it would really be cool to go to Paris for lunch and the great bookstores around the Odeon, see a play in London in the evening, and then sleep in my own bed in New York even if the tube were already closed!) , but if I couldn't have that, then I have always considered speed-reading a sort of superpower and I'd be happy with that.
8. Do you carry a book with you everywhere you go?
Yup.
9. What KIND of book?
Whatever I'm reading, unless it's very inconvenient (like my 1300 page neuroscience text book and even that I had to carry sometimes in order to get my assigned reading done).
10. How old were you when you got your first library card?
Probably around four - as soon as I could read.
11. What’s the oldest book you have in your collection? (Oldest physical copy? Longest in the collection? Oldest copyright?)
The oldest physical book and copyright is a French history of America published in 1817. The books I have owned the longest are probably my early childhood books like I am a Bunny, but those are all at my mom's. The one I have held most consecutively in my apartment is probably the Sherlock Holmes volume I got from my Aunt and Uncle when I was around twelve.
12. Do you read in bed?
Every day.
13. Do you write in your books?
I used to write in them a lot more. Now I usually use post-it tabs to mark a place and once I post on a book I removed them so that when I read the book again my conversation with it can change.
14. If you had one piece of advice to a new reader, what would it be?
Forget obligation, follow your pleasure in reading.
15. What question(s) have I NOT asked at BTT that you’d love me to ask? (Actually, leave the answer to this one in the comments on this post, huh? So I can find them when I need inspiration!

Are there any fictional characters whom you have emulated (or tried to)? Who and why?

Which non-series book would you most like to read the sequel to? Do you have any wishes for what might happen in it?

Have you ever fallen in love with a fictional character? Who and what about them did you love?

Have you ever used a book to instruct someone of something or is there anyone for whom you would like to do that? (I don't mean a text book for a class, but a work of fiction or non-fiction that would get a certain message across either through plot or character). What is the book and what do you wish to impart?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Liked your answers, good advice to young readers.

http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/01/booking-through-thursday_12.html

Marie Cloutier said...

I love eggs and can eat them anytime but most often for breakfast! :) fun meme this week. I read as much as I possibly can, LOL