Friday, March 28, 2008

Treasures from the library



We had an evening out at one of our favorites - a portuguese tapas bar - to celebrate our anniversary last night, so I'm getting a late start. I did make my way through the raindrops this morning and came home with some enticing goodies from the library.

Music, In a Foreign Language - the idiosyncratic work of Scotsman Andrew Crumey was recommended by John Self at Asylum. Like Richard Powers - one of my favorites - Crumey likes weave science, music, and philosophy through his fiction. This is set in an alternative British police state in which the publishers of an underground magazine - one a physicist and one a historian - are investigated.

I was not familiar with the work of Patrick Gale when Mark Johnson wrote about his Notes for An Exhibition over at 5th Estate. While I wasn't particularly drawn to that one, I was to Rough Music which seems to be an across-the-generations story of family relations.

Finally, after reading a rave over Divisadero at Ex Libris, I put it on my library reserve list. The dual time and place device is one I usually enjoy in fiction. Sometimes Ondaatje can put me to sleep, other times I've really liked him, so I'm willing to give this one a shot.

Time to get to work.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This seems interesting!
But i must share what i've loved reading most recently. Its the Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis. The author's imagination and creativity never cease to amaze me. Although most might think that they are for children,I think most adults would also enjoy reading them. In fact, Disney is coming up with the latest Narnia movie-Prince Caspian, this May 16th. It promises to be awesome by the looks of the trailor. I think its very well-timed also, especially for the kids who'd be on summer break. So dont miss it!