Thursday, April 24, 2008

Spring reading

btt button

Do your reading habits change in the Spring? Do you read gardening books? Even if you don’t have a garden? More light fiction than during the Winter? Less? Travel books? Light paperbacks you can stick in a knapsack?

Or do you pretty much read the same kinds of things in the Spring as you do the rest of the year?


When skin starts showing and heads start snapping around on the street and puppies are straining at their leashes to sniff at each other and the soft ice cream truck is chiming its sickly little ditty, it's spring time in New York - a restless time - and my reading habits probably do shift. Lately at the beginning of spring I tend to want some YA fantasy. That may be due to the fact that the end of the term is at hand and I'm trying to run away from papers and exams. I definitely start picking up some travel books to plan our summer trip. Sicily this year! No gardening books here - no garden! But we are looking for a guide to NYC flora and fauna. We run into dozens of birds, trees, and flowers on our walks in the park, but aside from the hawk we saw last week, some blue jays, cardinals, mourning doves, and robins, and the familiar forsythia, tulips, and daffodils, we can't identify most of them. The other thing I know I'll be reading in spring are study notes. In fact, I had better start preparing some. But my preference for novels stays constant and it can be paperback or hardcover, large or small, size doesn't matter. I stocked up on a few just last week.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's frightening reading round just how many of us have our reading dictated to a greater or lesser extent by the academic rather than the meteorological seasons. We may all have diffferent springs, but we all seem to have the same New Year, Sept 1st.

Judy said...

Happy Thursday...and Sicily sounds wonderful! I envy you the trip a lot more than I do study guides and classes :-)

Lesley said...

I was in NYC just over a week ago and the evidence of spring was just fantastic! All those blossoming trees ... half your luck.

Ted said...

TT - Indeed. It's a frightening unnatural alternative calendar. It cannot be healthy.

JT - Happy Thursday to you. I am very much looking forward to that trip and am sure I'll do a few posts on it! I've never been there before.

Lesley - Glad you paid a visit. I love NYC in Spring and today was another truly glorious day. Wisteria perfumed the East Village.

Lesley said...

Remembering your search for a guide to NY's trees and plants, I've come back to recommend this blog to you: http://newyorkplantsandotherstuff.blogspot.com