Friday, December 19, 2008

Best non-fiction reads of 2008

Finals over. Just the papers now, and only one of them is due before break, Monday in fact. The other I'll deal with after the new year. So now, onto the lists.

It's time for the best reads of 2008. I think I'll drag this out over multiple posts and start with non-fiction. This is a no-brainer, having read so little non-fiction that wasn't for school this year. Hands down, my best 2008 non-fiction read of the year is Imperium by Ryszard Kapuscinski, a recommendation of ever reliable Sheila. The link will send you to my multi-part reflection on this melange of history, psychology, politics and travel writing. It was, sadly, the only book of 8 that I completed for the Russian Reading Challenge, pathetic slob that I am. Maybe I can remedy that before the end of 2008?... er, um... probably not. Another by Kapuschinski, probably The Soccer War, will be on the docket for 2009.

No comments: