Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Honour not the malice of thine enemy so much as to say thy misery comes from him (Books - The Meaning of Night by Michael Cox)

I have finished Michael Cox's Victorian thriller The Meaning of Night in one final tense, tearing-through-the-pages sitting. Even with all the mysteries revealed as I started the final 200 pages, Cox still has some surprises to throw our way. As they were uncovered I literally winced with agony for our poor anti-hero. My jaw was clenched. I should have gone to sleep but I just had to know how it would all turn out. In addition to a great mystery, there are some wonderful libraries filled with old books, there is a good love story, the sense of period style is masterful but doesn't feel like an exhibit or a joke, it has integrity.

I won't spoil any plot details by telling you that there is a scene of childhood memory toward the end of the novel in which our hero remembers being a child and another child taunting him by stealing and destroying his favorite book. It is an agony to read. I wanted revenge on his behalf. Finally, I think that was Cox's larger point - creating
a meaningful story about the cost of having an enemy. The desire for revenge can rule one's life - and the very act that proports to assuage one's anger may only stoke the fire. Or as Cox's book is fond of quoting Donne:
Honour not the malice of thine enemy so much, as to say, thy misery comes from him...
This is a vastly entertaining read, thanks Katherine. Here are my other posts on The Meaning of Night 1, 2, 3.

5 comments:

Katherine said...

Thanks for the shout-out! This is still one of the best books I've read this year.

Beth F said...

Ok, ok. I have had this one on my MP3 player for almost a year. Now I'll make sure I listen to it soon. I have no clue why I keep passing over it.

Ted said...

Beth - I hope you enjoy it. If you drive while listening, don't listen to the last hundred pages that way, it's too suspenseful and I think I might drive off the road.

Judy said...

I have just finished "The Meaning of Night" although circumstance has (unusually) meant that it has taken me several months, and I have read other books while leaving Michael Cox's book unfinished. All in all, I would recommend the book despite the heavy Victorian style, and I am eager to search out his sequel "The Glass of Time".

Ted said...

Judy - It looks like I was a little more entertained by this one than you were.