Saturday, October 6, 2007

Another Book List

Library Thing's Unread Book List - have I done this one? I think not. Saw it over at Matt's and Danielle's and I thought, why not? Since the background color of my blog is black, I bolded red the titles I've read, italicized the books I own and plan on reading, asterisked** the ones I'd like to buy or borrow and read someday, striked out the titles that don't appeal to me, the rest I simply don't care about.


Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Anna Karenina
Crime and punishment

Catch-22

One hundred years of solitude
Wuthering Heights

The Silmarillion

Life of Pi: a novel
The name of the rose (I know who did it and how so why bother?)
Don Quixote
Moby Dick**
Ulysses**
Madame Bovary - and it's on the re-read pile
The Odyssey
Pride and Prejudice
Jane Eyre

A Tale of Two Cities
The Brothers Karamazov
although it deserves a rereading
Guns, Germs, and Steel - this is one of those "I'll tell you why everything in the world happened and why " and I mistrust them
War and Peace**
Vanity Fair
The Time Traveller’s Wife
The Iliad
Emma** - have I read it? I'm not sure, which means I should
The Blind Assassin
The Kite Runner
Mrs. Dalloway
Great Expectations
American Gods
A heartbreaking work of staggering genius (this book is such a phenomenon I feel I should)
Atlas shrugged
Reading Lolita in Tehran: a memoir in books
Memoirs of a Geisha
Middlesex
Quicksilver - are these novels any good?
Wicked : the life and times of the wicked witch of the West
The Canterbury tales**
The historian : a novel
A portrait of the artist as a young man
Love in the time of cholera
Brave new world
The Fountainhead
Foucault’s pendulum
Middlemarch - it's on the reread pile too
Frankenstein
The Count of Monte Cristo ages ago
Dracula
A clockwork orange
Anansi boys - Neil Gaiman does nothing for me
The once and future king
The grapes of wrath
The Poisonwood Bible : a novel
1984
Angels & demons
The inferno
The satanic verses - is this better than Midnight's Children?
Sense and sensibility
The picture of Dorian Gray
Mansfield Park**
One flew over the cuckoo’s nest
To the lighthouse
Tess of the D’Urbervilles

Oliver Twist
Gulliver’s travels - as a kid
Les misérables**
The corrections
The amazing adventures of Kavalier and Clay
The curious incident of the dog in the night-time
Dune in high school
The prince
The sound and the fury
Angela’s ashes : a memoir
The god of small things**
A people’s history of the United States
Cryptonomicon
Neverwhere
A confederacy of dunces
A short history of nearly everything
Dubliners
The unbearable lightness of being
Beloved
Slaughterhouse-five
The Scarlet Letter

Eats, Shoots & Leaves
The mists of Avalon
Oryx and Crake
Collapse : how societies choose to fail or succeed
Cloud Atlas
The Confusion
Lolita
Persuasion
Northanger Abbey**
Udolpho**
The Catcher in the Rye
On the Road

The Hunchback of Notre Dame**
Freakonomics
Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
The Aeneid
Watership Down
Gravity’s Rainbow
The Hobbit
In cold blood
White teeth
Treasure Island
David Copperfield**
The three musketeers


4 comments:

Liz said...

I think Midnight's Children is better that The Satanic Verses, but that's just me.

Ted said...

Liz - Good to know. I might give it a try then.

meli said...

i've heard mc is better but i haven't read it yet (my copy's in australia). but i loved satanic verses.

the name of the rose is a fantastic book, btw.

Ted said...

Hmmm, conflicting votes -guess I'll have to try SV, since I've tried MC twice and have never gotten past the first chapter.