Monday, October 1, 2007

Love, War and the Truth (Books - The Welsh Girl and Faithful are the Wounds)


I've finished reading The Welsh Girl by Peter Ho Davies. I've said most of what I've wanted to here, here, and here. There is something important that happens to Esther in the last 100 pages or so that creates some fantastic scenes but I feel that if I say too much more, I will ruin the experience for those of you who want to read it. There is a layering of themes in this book: friends and enemies, language, and the ability to live with the truth are the three that have most stuck with me. It's one of the few books I've read recently in which the epilogue actually worked. In any event, I found it well worth reading.

Next up, I'm planning on re-reading May Sarton's Faithful are the Wounds for the Outmoded Authors Challenge posed by Imani. I read pretty much everything by Sarton about 25 years ago. I really enjoyed her novels and memoirs. I'm not really sure why this one just.... because. If I remember correctly, themes of truth and politics crop up in this book too.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've added The Welsh Girl to my list.
Is this the first time you'll be re-visiting Sarton's book since you read them quite a while ago? That'll be interesting to see how you'll react to it now.
I plan to read Journal of a Solitude for the challenge. It'll be my first Sarton book and I'm looking forward to it.

Ted said...

Iliana - It is my first return to this one of Sarton's and I'm already noticing very different things interesting me.

Sam said...

I'm supposed to pick this one up at the library this week...it's waiting for me...and it really sounds interesting. Thanks for the review.

Ted said...

Enjoy it, Sam. I'll be interested to read your thoughts on it.