Monday, March 24, 2008

Dogs and cats and tortured but magical teenagers (Lirael by Garth Nix)



Lirael did not end completely as I expected it would -which was a relief. I've read a bunch of Garth Nix's work, and he seems to have an interest in and a knack for, capturing the torture of the insecure and outcast teenager and placing them in an enjoyable fantasy world. That was one of the most positive aspects of Lirael, he really captured that experience accurately. And the companions of both our teenage heroes are magic-charmed animals, which he uses to some comic value. The last 200 pages of this one really moved liked wild fire - I woke up in the middle of the night on our Berkshire getaway and this book kept me engrossed through an action packed ending. Here and here are my other thoughts about it.


I'm now really looking forward to reading Child 44, which Simon & Schuster UK has graciously provided me for a look-see. We'll look and we'll see.

No comments: