Sunday, August 31, 2008

Hungry?

Got this food list from Matt. I live to eat, enjoy variety and interest in my food, and I live in New York, so I have tried a pretty wide range of foods, though clearly I still have some ground to cover. I've adapted the rules so that you add a food or two at the end.


The meme lists 100+ food items that reflect cultural diversity.
1. Cut and paste the list to the blog.
2. Boldface the food you’ve eaten (I've done them in red too, easier to read)
3. Strike across the items you will never eat. (combo bold and strike-out for those you have eaten but won't again)
4. Add a food or two at the end, if you like.

1. Venison
2. Nettle tea
3. Huevos racheros
4. Steak tartar
5. Crocodile (I'd try it)
6. Black pudding
(Had it with several Irish breakfasts and have no strong need to have it again)
7. Cheese fondue (The Ragazzo looooooves it. We have it every New Year's Eve)
8. Carp
9. Borscht
10. Baba ghanoush (Yum, my favorite!)
11. Calamari
12. Pho (Vietnamese noodle soup)
13. PB & J
14. Aloo gobi (Indian dry curry with cauliflower and potato)
15. Hot dog from a street cart
16. Epoisses (If it's cheese, stinky or not, I've tried it)
17. Black truffle
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes I've tried several but they're too sweet for me
19. Steamed pork buns
20. Pistachio ice cream
21. Heirloom tomatoes
22. Fresh wild berries
23. Foie gras
24. Rice and beans
25. Brawn, or head cheese
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper (probably in a Carribean restaurant but I'm not sure)
27. Dulce de leche
28. Oysters (raw on the half shell - heaven!)
29. Baklava (rich, sweet middle eastern pastry)
30. Bagna cauda
31. Wasabi peas
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl (a San Francisco favorite)
33. Salted lassi (I've had mango lassi, but not a salted one)
34. Sauerkraut
35. Root beer float (I'm not a junk food lover so I'm not a big fan of stuff like this)
36. Cognac with a fat cigar (w/o the cigar, ok)
37. Clotted cream tea (tea taken with a combination of scones, clotted cream, and jam)
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O (Why?)
39. Gumbo (Canjun/Creole dish from Louisiana)
40. Oxtail (in oxtail soup)
41. Curried goat (I've had goat in cilantro sauce - Peruvian dish - delicious!)
42. Whole insects (Sold in South East Asia as snacks. I'd try em)
43. Phaal (extremely hot and spicy Indian curry dish - I've had Vindaloo but not Phaal)
44. Goat’s milk (and cheese and yogurt made from it)
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more (I'm not sure of the cost, but I've had very good single malts)
46. Fugu (Japanese word for pufferfish - I won't knowingly risk my life for a food experience)
47. Chicken tikka masala (Malaysia. Indian dish)
48. Eel (as sushi and also in a salad in Amsterdam)
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut (I've tried them once. They do nothing for me)
50. Sea urchin (as sushi - unique and fantastic!)
51. Prickly pear (a cactus)
52. Umeboshi
53. Abalone
54. Paneer (an unaged, acid-set, non-melting Bengali farmer cheese)
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal (I hate fast food, especially by all these companies that have contributed to the obesity problem in our modern world. I will not eat their food.)
56. Spaetzle (grandma's - very often)
57. Dirty gin martini (no, but give me a vodka one and we're in business)
58. Beer above 8% ABV (I've tried some of the higher alcohol Belgian beers. I tend to like the taste of the lower alcohol concentration beers better)
59. Poutine (Quebecois dish made with french fries, gravy, and cheese. I'd try it)
60. Carob chips (I've had 'em in trail mix)
61. S’mores (a roasted marshmallow and a slab of chocolate sandwiched between two pieces of graham cracker)
62. Sweetbreads
63. Kaolin (I don't know what this is.)
64. Currywurst
65. Durian (I've smelled them and I don't think I could - stinky!)
66. Frogs’ legs
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake (I don't like fried dough in any language)
68. Haggis (I had it often with 'neeps' when I worked at the Edinburgh festival - good stuff)
69. Fried plantain
70. Chitterlings, andouillette, or tripe (when it's prepared well it's good stuff)
71. Gazpacho (I make it every summer - one of my favorites)
72. Caviar and blini
73. Louche absinthe
74. Gjetost, or brunost (I don't think I've tried it, but it's cheese, how bad could it be?)
75. Roadkill (not to my knowledge, but who knows what that little restaurant in Wisconsin served that night?)
76. Baijiu (Chinese rice wine)
77. Hostess Fruit Pie (In third grade)
78. Snail
79. Lapsang souchong (very smoky black tea)
80. Bellini (Not my style. I don't like strong drinks)
81. Tom yum (Thai spicy lemongrass soup - delicious)
82. Eggs Benedict
83. Pocky(A sweet Japanese cookie. Doesn't sound like my cup of tea)
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant (I've eaten in some great restaurants, but I don't think any of them were 3-star and I'm not sure I'd have a tasting menu. I'd want to eat a course or two as prepared by the chef and trade bites with whoever else is at the table)
85. Kobe beef (supposed to be fantastic beef, I'd like to try it)
86. Hare (some people are squeamish about eating bunnies and bambis - not me)
87. Brains (with all the prion diseases infecting animal nervous systems I think not)
88. Goulash (spicy Hungarian beef stew flavored with paprika)
89. Horse (I'd have no objection)
90. Criollo chocolate (I think it's from a Central American cocoa bean)
91. Spam
92. Soft shell crab (Love it)
93. Rose harissa
94. Catfish
95. Mole poblano (I really like a good mole sauce on just about anything)
96. Bagel and lox (Whaddya think?)
97. Lobster Thermidor (I tend to like it better without all that goopy sauce)
98. Polenta
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee
100. Snake
101. Halavah (Russian/Meditarranean confection made from sweetened sesame paste)
102. Turkish Delight
103. Ossenwurst (A smoked Dutch sausage of cured raw meat)
104. Butter tea (A traditional Tibetan beverage. One of the few foods I truly can't stand)
105. Jenever (Juniper flavored traditional Dutch liqueur)
106. Dutch herring from a street stall (Cured and served sliced or on a bun with pickles or onions. Get your omega-3s . Love it.)
107. Wat (Ethiopian stew - any variety - mop it up with injera, a sour pancake-like bread)
108. Tej (Ethiopian honey wine, perfect with wat)

Join in the fun. Get hungry. Eat. Jonah, if you're reading, you're a food lover - how about it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I ate durian like there was no tomorrow when I was in Thailand and Malaysia.

I would never venture anything that is innard. No snake for me either.

Other than the cheese and the lack pudding, our culinary taste is quite similar.