Thursday, October 1, 2009

Liar, liar, pants on fire

btt button

Suggested by Monibo. Saw this article (from March) and thought it would make a good BTT confessional question:

Two-thirds of Brits have lied about reading books they haven’t. Have you? Why? What book?

We don't do that on this side of the Atlantic (yeah, right). I know that there are any number of school assignments I have suggested that I read by nodding knowingly. As an undergraduate I couldn't stand Dickens's Bleak House. I now love it, but at the time I could not get through it and so I had my roommate tell me the story in order to write my final. I think I may also have claimed to have read all of Shakespeare's work in my time and there are probably a couple of poems and plays I still haven't gotten around to (I find Henry VI and Henry VIII deadly boring). For the most part, the vast amount of books I haven't read just provides me with the certainty that there is lots out there to look forward to. I don't feel as though I have to lie about it.

5 comments:

Nise' said...

I fibbed aplenty in high school! Books I didn't like then I love now.

BurtonReview said...

Silly to lie about them I know. I loved your title Liar Liar Pants on Fire.
I owned all of Shakespeare's works in College, and it was the largest biggest heaviest book I lugged for two sememsters. I doubt I read it all but I read alot. Enjoyed some but not most of what I read.
And yet, years later, I still lament that I sold the book back to the college for probably a measly amount of money.
Still irks me that I did that, especially knowing I was forced to spend tons of $$ in the first place on it. Grr. Silly college girl.

BurtonReview said...

ps my post is here
The Burton Review

Anonymous said...

I haven't read Henry VIII but I'm not a big fan of Henry IV either.

gautami tripathy said...

Despite loving the Bard's works, I too couldn't finish Henry V111.

However, I can never get enough of his sonnets. Maybe becos I write poetry!

Booking Through Lies