Sunday, April 20, 2008

The fantasy is over... (Books - Abhorsen by Garth Nix)


The fantastical struggle against evil in Garth Nix's Abhorsen Trilogy came to an exciting conclusion in the ultimate volume. Nix does a good job with satisfying coming of age fiction as I mentioned in the last post. In this book I was aware how, through the trilogy he had created an enveloping mythology for his alternate world that includes not just your usual run-of-the-mill forces of darkness but a creation-story, an afterlife, and a variety of races or tribes which, in the conclusion he whips into a raucous conclusion. My post on Lirael is here and Sabriel here. And the end of this fantasy means I'm supposed to return to my homework, boo-hoo.

2 comments:

heather (errantdreams) said...

I absolutely loved this trilogy, and found each book to be even better than the last.

Ted said...

Heather - The third did have a rip-roaring conclusion, and it was a good spring-break diversion.