Monday, December 27, 2010

Best of... (My best YA fiction reads in 2010 - The Magicians & Thursday's Child)



I hope everyone who celebrates christmas had a good one. Next year end list: books for young readers (YA fiction), a category I enjoy, but read sparingly this year. It's a bit of a quasi-category since good readers of any age can read anything that strikes their fancy (I know I did). For that matter, a number of these books make excellent reading for adults. In some ways I think that the humor of both Cosmic and The Selected Works of T. S. Spivet will be lost on kids. Sonia Harnett's novels are rich reading at any age and Lev Grossman's The Magicians is just a superb work of fantasy period, no matter what the age of the reader. Just 9 of the 52 books I read or 17% were touted as books for younger readers. They were:

The Borrowers
Cosmic
Journey to the Center of the Earth
The Card Turner
The Ropemaker
The Selected Works of T. S. Spivet
Surrender
Thursday's Child
The Magicians

My picks for my favorite reads for younger readers in 2010 were Thursday's Child and Surrender by Sonia Harnett, who creates works of art for readers she assumes are dead-smart, and The Magician's by Lev Grossman, who takes his fantasy as well as his readers seriously and is prolifically imaginative.

I'm just realizing that this is my 1,000th post - ding, ding ding (bells going off). Thank you to all of you who come by and read, whether occasionally or regularly. I set out in search of regular writing practice and a community of readers and I have been richly rewarded in both.

No comments: