Saturday, December 13, 2008

20 Favorite Actresses Redux

In the great footsteps of fearless friend Sheila, I will amend my 20 favorite actresses (of this time) meme, to include my favorite performances of their's (of this time).

Lois Smith - That's a hard one. I really loved her in The Trip to Bountiful live on stage, I also have a fond memory of the first stage role I ever saw her in - a one act comedy called Bite the Hand by Ara Watson in which she played a World War II era whore with a heart.
Judy Garland - Judgment at Nuremberg
Vivien Leigh - hands down A Ship of Fools
Diane Wiest - that's a toughie, I loved her in Hannah and her Sisters but there is a special place in my heart for her stage performance in Harold Pinter's A Kind of Alaska, she was other-worldly
Julie Walters - gorgeous in The Wedding Gift, a sleeper also w/ Jim Broadbent - great flick!
Imelda Staunton - Vera Drake
Jennifer Jason Leigh - Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle
Vanessa Redgrave - Howard's End, she seems to float on air
Isabelle Huppert - Medea live on stage, which I saw televised in France
Kim Stanley - as Masha in the flawed but gorgeous Three Sisters directed by Lee Strasberg
Ellen Burstyn - Resurrection
Ingrid Bergman - Notorious
Emma Thompson - Carrington (that was hard, The Winter Guest is great too, and she is hilariously over the top in Peter's Friends)
Maggie Smith - The Lonely Passion of Judith Hearn (and I'll take her in A Room with a View any day)
Betty Buckley (as I said in the first post - her 5 minute cameo in Another Woman)
Jeanne Morreau - Jules et Jim - it's essential
Geraldine Page - The Trip to Bountiful
La Streep - Angels in America, Postcards from the Edge, Kramer vs. Kramer
Geena Rowlands - Opening Night
Juliet Stevenson - Truly, Madly, Deeply

3 comments:

Sheila O'Malley said...

In the midst of my recent Mickey Rourke craze, I saw Pope of Greenwich Village again (and it really holds up!! Makes me miss eric roberts, too - terrific actor) - and Geraldine Page is just so damn good and specific and pathetic and suddenly steely and kind of gross - she's probably in it for 10 minutes and she is just amazing.

Ted said...

Eric Roberts was damn good, wasn't he? I remember GP talking about doing Pope of Greenwich Village. You know she actually didn't smoke at all.

Sheila O'Malley said...

Mickey Rourke said recently, "There are actors in Hollywood now making millions of dollars and they aren't fit to carry Eric Roberts's luggage."

So he's obviously still ingratiating himself with comments like that, I am happy to see.

I had no idea she didn't smoke. You can almost FEEL how bad her breath smells in Pope of Greenwich Village - like, that woman is rotting from within.

Brilliant performance - she was so manipulative.