Wednesday, December 10, 2008

They reign supreme... (20 Greatest actresses meme)

I could not resist this meme: My 20 greatest actresses of all time. Which I prefer to call my 20 favorite actresses of all time today. Thanks, Sheila.










And they are: Lois Smith, Judy Garland, Vivien Leigh, Diane Wiest, Julie Walters, Imelda Staunton, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Vanessa Redgrave, Isabelle Huppert, Kim Stanley, Ellen Burstyn, Ingrid Bergman, Emma Thompson & Maggie Smith (2 for the price of one!), Betty Buckley (would have to be on this list for her 5 minute cameo in Another Woman alone), Jeanne Morreau, Geraldine Page, La Streep, Geena Rowlands, and Juliet Stevenson

(It killed me to leave out Cherry Jones, Laurie Metcalf, Hannah Schygula, Anne Bancroft, Kate Hepburn, Lili Taylor - but what could I do?)

Care to join in the fun?

5 comments:

Sheila O'Malley said...

Beautiful!

That picture of Maggie Smith and Emma Thompson is so funny I am laughing and crying. They are both so IN that moment, arent they??

Ted said...

I love seeing Emma T in screwy comic roles, she is soooo funny, and here a wonderful clown to Maggie Smith's straight man. And Smith must know how funny she is when she is NOT funny. Like her character in A Room with A view. It makes me howl with laughter.

Sheila O'Malley said...

And her in Gosford Park!! All told she probably has 20 lines in that movie but she hits a home run on every one. Bob Balaban going on and on at the dinner table about his movie and he says, "Oh, but I don't want to spoil the ending for you ..." and she says, "Don't worry, none of us will ever see it." Like, she is SO RUDE but she says it with total guileless honesty ... HILARIOUS!!

Ted said...

She is wicked in Gosford Park - I'd forgotten about that!

Sheila O'Malley said...

Emma Thompson played the Fool in King Lear onstage back in her early career and it's a performance I would just LOVE to have seen. She's got the whole Monty Python improv background but also this Shakespeare thing - the pictures of her in the role are extraordinary.